Thursday, January 6, 2011

I Wonder...

Sometimes I wonder how much of myself is genetically passed to my children. My oldest has a tendency to exhibit behaviors that I did (still do) as a child and it makes me angry. He acts all whacked out and scared at the bus stop all of a sudden and I stand there looking like/feeling like an idiot. What I'm wondering is if he actually is having an issue on the bus or is being teased and doesn't know how to express it. He can often take "kind" teasing to another level and get fearful. I saw it happen at 4 when his soccer coach would insist that he was going to steal his light up sneakers. The coach was trying to engage hima dn make him laugh, but my son took it seriously and got fearful. He's not the kind of kid to tell me much either (again, much like me) and that stresses me out b/c then my mind wanders and I think the worst and fear the worst and epculate, etc. I don't want him to be the loner child, but he may be like me and keep a few friends close and everyone else out. I don't know if that is good or bad...

2 comments:

  1. Oye. When does that stress begin? I'm not looking forward to worrying about my child in this way but we all do it, right?

    This is a great line: "He acts all whacked out and scared at the bus stop all of a sudden and I stand there looking like/feeling like an idiot".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parenthood is by far the most amazing thing in my life, but, it often reminds me of all the crap I hated about growing up. It's really hard to not assume my kids feel what i felt as a child in certain instances and it's hard not to assume every other adult thinks you suck at parenting when your kids act up! AAAAHHHH! Welcome to the biggest roller coaster of your life!

    ReplyDelete